DNS Lookup Fail

The URL Redirect feature of SafeSquidâ„¢ is a very popular feature and should be used with some imagination and logic to get the best results.

DNS Lookup Fail

Postby gte451f » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:02 pm

Currently when a user types in a URL with no matching DNS entry the user is presented with a generic safesquid web page saying DNS Failed.

This isn't very helpful, can we redirect users to a search engine when they type in an unknown URL?

I figured maybe we use URL Redirect but this seems to only work when you know specific addressees. I want addresses like "google.comm" or "yahaa.com" that are misspelled or otherwise incorrect and are impossible to predict.
gte451f

Postby sachin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:57 pm

Will it not be easier, to set your SafeSquid server's DNS to something like OpenDNS?
There are many such free DNS servers available.
sachin

Re: DNS Lookup Fail

Postby gte451f » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:10 pm

I see what you mean. Using such DNS services means that when a user miss-types a domain, they are presented with a OpenDNS page suggesting the correct website. This partially solves my problem.

Still, when I type in just cnn, I am presented with the safesquid "DNS FAILED" page. My goal is to make safesquid hidden when users are browsing. Is there a way I can prevent the safesquid "DNS FAILED" page from loading in such circumstances?
gte451f

Postby sachin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:00 pm

Better still, you can present you own custom template on all errors. See - Customizable Templates.

You can also download the English Templates and modify them to suit you. See - Display messages in other language.
sachin

Re: DNS Lookup Fail

Postby ramkee » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:10 pm

@sachin What ever you said is exactly correct. @gte451f you can use customized templates. SafeSquid will allows you make that happens.
ramkee
Site Admin

Return to URL Redirect